Sunday Funday : The Leftovers and Fear the Walking Dead


Whoa! I am not quite sure where to begin last night finally got me excited about TV again! It definitely was that gut punch I have been seeking. But more so I'd say just a mind f#$K! 

** Spoilers for The Leftovers and Fear the Walking Dead**


Credit: HBO

The Leftovers had me making all sorts of contorted faces and continually asking my hubby his opinion. Also WTF was with that opening! I shall by pass any speaking of that opening sequence because I am going to pretend it didn't exist! I do however find the new song credits and all that interesting and maybe it is even trying to foreshadow shadow people etc (sorry for the tongue twister).  I can only recall bits and pieces from the first season as far as exactly where it left off escapes me right now. And I kind of prefer to have it allude me because I would rather experience this whole new season the same way as the first. Mindfucked, troubled, shocked and eagerly awaiting more! My husband after the way too long opening scene said "Thanks for ruining Leftovers Lindelof." Of course I just rolled my eyes because he said he wouldn't fast forward it in case it wound up having some sort of future significance. Which in all likeliness it will. It was tweeted out a bunch last night how there were definitely some Lost references. (And no I don't mean some character having a copy of the DVD or someone actually saying the name.) I was thinking the better word may have been it had a Lost feel to it. But then again I am not sure I would personally even agree. Leftovers can at times remind me of Lost however it is subtle enough I don't really say "oh that totally reminded me of Lost." The few main points and/or questions I took away were these:

__ Why would Firefighters burn down people's houses? Because it didn't seem like the one we got to see was their first rodeo. And what did Regina King mean when she asked the husband "You want to work on your birthday?" I mean they were just having the new neighbors over. Obviously there is something more sinister going on and Regina King seems to be in on it as well. Those are my suspicions.

__ It started off super weird. The first season did too so I guess I kind of knew this was going to be as well. Wowza though season 2 is off to a freakish start! I am glad we got to see Justin Theroux and company (well some of them) I was really beginning to think we wouldn't see him in the first episode. Also I can't help thinking like what is with his cheeriness even if it is fake. I would think with everything that happened the first season him and the daughter may have a bit more attitude.

__ I am starting to think we may never get to know the how, why and where people disappeared. I am kind of okay with that mystery. That's what makes these kind of shows amazing! Unpredictability. I am cool with just the hints and what is waiting to be unfolded. And if I really want to spoil things for myself I can always read the books!

My Bottom Line: Grade A TV! I can't even begin to explain the show well enough let alone the shocker (that I kind of saw coming at the same time) at the end of the episode. I seriously love Sunday TV again and will be watching with excitement every week. I am stoked to see what is going on with all the other characters in this universe as well. Leftovers is definitely in my Top 5 in TV viewing!




                                                                   Credit: AMC



The last two episodes of the season I thought were the best if not the only good episodes. I hated this show at first but those last few episodes really made me change my mind. In fact I actually just finished watching the season finale moments ago. I freaking loved it! Do I love all the characters? Of course not! But at the very least FTWD became compelling towards its short freshman season. Am I more looking forward to next week when TWD premieres? DUH! Oh but of course! Don't get me wrong I know I should not compare the two. Other then the names and the Zombies. Shit, I mean walkers I forget this TV universe doesn't use the word zombies. It doesn't compare it is likely at best a C version of its namesake. Okay maybe a B after the finale. Nick (Frank Dillane) and now this new guy Strand (Colman Domingo) are the most compelling characters in my opinion. What I found at times made me excited is like waiting for someone to die or get bit to see how these newbies would react. People that are such fresh meat so to speak and not seasoned with walker killing would not have survived that first onslaught. When Daniel (Ruben Blades) we assume lets out all those 2000 walkers out of the stadium someone would have got killed normally. I can't recall how long they kept the original characters in The Walking Dead alive before they started killing people off. But I also feel weird how I keep rooting for people that don't seem like bad guys to get eaten lol. I am sure i may have don't that a bit with TWD though but not the first six episodes. Maybe I am just not that into this cast or I haven't given it enough of a chance yet I am not sure. These last two episodes really got me though. I wish it had started off this good. The scene where they are fighting with the walkers in the kitchen area of the military compound and no one seems to have gotten hurt seemed super unlikely. I was thinking like yeah right they don't even know how to kill and fight them. Come on Now! Of course we later find out Liza (Elizabeth Rodriguez) got bit. I knew someone had to have gotten infected! To end the season with no casualties to this new group besides Daniel's wife would have been a bummer. I knew something was up as soon as she said "I love you" to her son. And then we finally get to see what happens when someone must do the unthinkable. Plus Elizabeth Rodriguez needs to get back to what she is best at; Orange is the New Black. A few things I was thinking and will have to wait until next season to find out are:

__ What is up with Strand? So we know now Abigail is a yacht of some sort. Did someone steal it for it to end up way out in the ocean? Where and what did he do before he wound up meeting Nick? Why can't they all stay in his freaking awesome house?

__ Was Travis (Cliff Curtis) really the one that had to shoot his ex wife? Or did he end up giving the gun back to Madison (Kim Dickens) to do it? I'm not sure I care that much either way. But obviously that is going to have an effect on most everyone moving forward.


My Bottom Line: Like I said I really disliked this show originally. The last two episodes have me convinced I'll end up tuning into season two though. I think if they want this show to survive in the long run the showrunners etc will have to get their shit together. I think they would need some bigger named cast to come along as well, just to beef up the show a little. As long as they keep showing more walkers and maybe show these characters learning how to kill them, hopefully Fear the Walking Dead will get even better.






Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment