Scream Queens and Limitless: Fun Time Tuesday


Scream Queens on Fox and Limitless on CBS Tuesdays


Credit: FOX


I guess I'll start with Scream Queens just because that was what I turned on first last night when I went to bed. I stupidly thought I'd let my ten year old watch as well (she had seen previews and really wanted to watch) then I quickly told her no probably not appropriate etc. She didn't get to watch the second episode I just am not ready to explain (nor would I want to) what a boner is to a ten year old girl. Anyways moving on... I really just assumed it would be like Pretty Little Liars meets Glee. Wrong!!! Don't get me wrong, I loved the first episode! My husband and I got a great many chuckles with all the nods to movies we grew up with like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream to name a few. It did have that AHS feel to it as well given Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk are doing the show and  Ryan directed the first episode. While I am glad no one sang (much), I didn't mind the super cheesy and even Mean Girls type atmosphere. I mean who doesn't like Mean Girls! Emma Roberts as Chanel Oberlin is genius with her snarky bitchiness; she plays that so well. Sure did most, if not all of what she said and did in the first two episodes leave people appalled and shocked? I'm guessing probably. Like when she screamed at a barrista (enter: Diego Boneta) about how she wanted a 210 degree pumpkin latte, or said she had to go get white eyeliner to write on the African-American girl (KeKe Palmer) pledging the sorority. I guess it's all part of how Ryan Murphy works, pushing boundaries, which doesn't really truly shock me personally I've seen Nip/Tuck and AHS. Jaime Lee Curtis was fantastic too as the Dean of the college. She really gets to pay homage to her Halloween days. This whole who is the Red Devil thing was really the only similarity with a Pretty Little Liars like show which I am fine with. The premise of the show in general is straight out of the Scream movies. I loved how they just made fun of everything in pop culture right now.

I'll just do some side notes, because after the second episode I'm honestly not sure I'll continue watching..

The Good/Ok: Nick Jonas's scenes were freaking hilarious! Ryan Murphy has said he is a fan of the cast so I'm thinking he must be pretty good friends with some of them for Nick especially to do what he did on the show.

Emma Roberts's character printing out a blood ritual from the Internet and then getting pissy when people started to complain where Ariana Grande said something like can't we get AIDS doing this lol. Also when she says her parents were at a Jeb Bush fundraiser was funny.

When Ariana Grande and the killer are texting each other and she then has to post to her social media that the killer is killing her.

The Not so Good/Ok: So first off, I really hated Oliver Hudson's character in the show, he plays Skylar Samuels dad. Not that him being a dad automatically makes it bad lol. But I thought he was kind of not believable as this nerdy dad that likes bad 90's music and then later would just go off in a car with a young girl. Maybe that's just me being nitpicky about something that doesn't really matter in the scheme of things though.

The second episode lost me pretty early on though when Niecy Nash went on for way to long with a bit about how they would contact her via her security firm. It was one of those things that you could imagine if it were live people just being silent and not laughing after the scene. Super painful and disappointing not to mention unnecessary.

My Bottom Line: I really did like the Pilot episode even though they took time to make fun of Taylor Swift I still loved it lol. The nods to all the cheesy horror films were funny and played well to the audience I think. But by the second episode it felt a bit like overkill in some ways. Nick Jonas's scenes almost saved it but not quite for me. It did remind me American Horror Story: Hotel would be on soon and I will have the pleasure of watching more of Murphy's and Falchuk's genius in a way that floats my boat more. So while I love Emma Roberts' genius I will probably not continue watching. Scream Queens was definitely fun! I have just been pretty selective lately with all the new and returning shows.


Limitless on CBS: Just another CBS procedural? Maybe but I'm okay with that (Only because it's good and originates from something I am already familiar with though)

                                                     Credit: CBS


Do you remember the movie Limitless from 2011 with Bradley Cooper? If you do then that's great you'll have a jumping off point with the new show on CBS of the same title. The premise is pretty much the same as the movie in a way so I won't bore you with that. I always have liked Jake McDorman so I was going to give this a chance no matter what. I was surprised by the well done effects and cinematography. It really felt like a movie but then again maybe that was the point. Limitless the show kind of did a backward type thing where they started the show toward the end of the episode. I am not sure they will do that every week and I am not sure it would matter (to me at least). I totally forgot Jennifer Carpenter was going to be in this so when she came on my TV screen I literally screamed DEB. I am a dork I know! I loved her as Deborah Morgan on Dexter even with that pesky last season! Bradley Cooper also guest stars and he came in toward the end of the episode as Eddie Morra the same character he played in the movie. Now he is supposed to be a senator and McDorman even refers to him as the next president. So it seems he is still using NZT and it must be working out for Cooper. He even explains to Mcdorman's character Finch that he has researched and developed or had help developing (I can't recall) a better alternative to making NZT (super brain drug I'll refer to it as) and gets a shot of the NZT. This form of NZT is apparently supposed to not have severe side effects like that of the pill. Finch just ends up wanting to help his sick father with his new super brain powers but it seems like Jennifer Carpenter and the FBI can use him and his abilities while he's on NZT as well . For her it is more personal as well and she'd like to solve how her father got NZT and eventaully died.

Will it be just another weekly procedural on CBS? Well I guess I will see, this is one show I will give a few more episodes of time to and see how it goes.

My Bottom Line: I enjoyed Limitless and loved seeing both McDorman and Carpenter on TV again. I am not sure however, That Limitless is different enough for me to get on board 100%. Also in fear of shows like these that may end up being cancelled. I don't like when I watch a show for a season just for it to be cancelled. In all fairness and honesty though that has only happened to me a few times with shows I watch. I will say it was cool to see Bradley Cooper on TV as well. I know he will be in a few more episodes, so I will look forward to that. No matter how creepy he looked in the episode.

What shows new or returning are you looking forward to this week?

I am still hopeful and excited for things like Heroes Reborn and Goldbergs and Modern Family.






Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment