Casual: New Comedic Gold on Hulu

I seriously can't even stop laughing right now. Casual on Hulu from Jason Reitman is fantastic! I had seen a few previews and didn't have huge expectations but this is the best comedy I have seen in a long time. It is so unique and refreshing and fucked up in all the best ways.




Credit: Hulu


At first I didn't understand who all the characters were to one another. But the easiest basis I could explain is a divorcee (Michaela Watkins) living with a bachelor brother (Tommy Dewey) and her daughter (Tara Lynne Barr). At first you find out the opening scene is a dream Alex (Dewey) has about attending his father's funeral and shit talking about all his family. Okay who hasn't had that dream in one form or another lol. Also we find out Valerie (Watkins) is a therapist who has to deal with patients asking her all sorts of awful questions. And a receptionist with a quirky vibe she talks to about online dating. Oh and by the way the brother created some dating app that he uses to date as well. 

Obviously the mom is reeling from a divorce but the family in general seem to be fast and loose with sex and communication. Even the uncle watches his niece having sex in a hot tub. Which Valerie later just says to him is "weird." The brother and sister have a close relationship to say the least and I was shocked when they go to a restaurant to date people they "matched" with at the same time. At least they go to different tables though. My favorite part of the first episode was Alex's date talking about her "Paleo" lifestyle. She orders a burger with bacon and no bun and he gets some Cod with lemon butter. He asks her something to the effect of; So Cod isn't part of the diet? And she says "No it's more about the lemon butter." She tells him how paleo is scientific and how "Someone at cross fit told her so." LOL! His date continues to go on and on about Paleo and how "cave men were healthier because of how they ate and lived longer." And Alex says "I'm pretty sure that's not true." Let me tell you I have never laughed so hard! Obviously Reitman has a wicked sense of humor and likes to make fun of people that I'm sure he deals with a lot! 

Later when Valerie and Alex run into each other going to the restroom or she had given him some type of signal I think. They shit talk about their dates and she tells him she needs to leave because her dates favorite movie is "Underworld." And Alex is all "The one with Kevin Costner?" And she says no that was Waterworld. Hysterical! Until the dates catch them talking shit and go off and have a drink together and Alex says "Oh so your Paleo lifestyle isn't real then." 

This show is fucked up in a lot of ways for sure. That is what makes it so fantastic though! Casual is so refreshing and honest, not to mention the comedic timing of the actors is on point. Which I think is sometimes what the main network shows lack is just not giving a fuck and just being real with the timing and delivery. This show just is not uptight and doesn't take itself too seriously. That is one of the things that makes Casual pure comedy gold. This is such a great idea for a show a messed up family that is trying to figure itself out. Don't get me wrong I love the picture perfect family shows too. There is just something so refreshing about seeing a show that could be real life.

The Mom thinks spin class is freakish. The daughter texts gun to head emojis to her uncle from a party. The uncle is his own brand of therapist in the sense he is overly blunt and hysterical. Valerie feels awkward going out with her 20 something receptionist and they tell her to "Prey on a cute guys mommy issues." The mom lets the daughter be an adult and have sex etc but she seems to be rebelling against her mothers loose ways so to speak. Alex later takes Valerie's one night stand under his wing and then goes on to buy cocaine from an under cover cop. WTF!

The last part of the second episode the niece says thank you to her uncle Alex for "Being a bigger fuck up then I am." After they both had ended up at the police station the same night. 



My Bottom Line: My only mild complaint about Casual is that I can't binge watch it. Hulu releases it on Wednesdays once a week, Bummer! Other then that really I think everything about this show is pure gold! I love comedy series that are actually funny even when you cringe or know other people may not be laughing. Well I am laughing a lot and I hope this stays good. I love shows that talk crap about pop culture and family dysfunction. (Much like The League which I also love.) Oh and I love when shows make fun of diet and exercise because truthfully it makes me feel better about myself. There I said it! Happy viewing. Please, I mean seriously watch this you'll love it.



What family shows are your favorite?

My favorite family shows are Parenthood, Modern Family, Life in Pieces and the Goldbergs. I find Casual to be an R rated type version of these which is the best part!


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment