Credit: Starz via thewrap.com
I've been grappling with what to write about as I have been busy and really honestly just bored with most things on TV. Having a hard time finding motivation to write not to mention an old chromebook on the fritz (I'm old school lol) I came across Flesh and Bone. I had two automatic thoughts before beginning to watch; Outlander was great so maybe this will be too, and also I hope its like Center Stage but more gritty.
Both those things came true in my opinion, however the second one is much more than I bargained for. Set in the world of New York (obvs) and The American Ballet Company, Claire is a seemingly troubled yet Bambi (as her bitchy roommate refers to her) like in nature. She catches the eye of her superiors and heads to take over the prima ballerinas spotlight. Well maybe not quite. She first has to discover the path and adventure set before her is one she is ill-equipped to handle. There is mystery surrounding Claire and we as the viewer are not sure in the first few episodes what exactly has happened to her trauma wise. It becomes increasingly clearer that there may be some incestuous things happening with a brother. (Ew) This plot line has become more disturbing as it goes on (I am 4 episodes in). She also is told in not so many words to seduce or rather oblige the new french donor of ABC. Which does not go according to plan to say the least.
One of my favorite smaller parts of the show that may become consequential later on is the homeless man living near Claire and her roommates 4th floor walk up that sees and hears a lot. Claire is nice to him but maybe a bit skittish as well. His character is shockingly poignant and intuitive at the same time. it is always great to see writers make you care about people that otherwise may come off unimportant to the story line. In this case I have a feeling Romeo will end up being pretty influential.
The head of the ABC is your a-typical (well from what I've seen in dancing movies) director with brash personality and over achieving asshole. He is looking to shake things up with a new ballet and getting donors is not easy goings. We are not sure what his complete story is yet either. Lost lover and partner? He seems to be battling his own demons as well but so far hasn't taken to self mutilation like the main lead Claire. Although Claire's self harm is starting to seem like it may have been a life long thing.
So yeah, this show is dark and twisted and fucked up! I realized I was bringing things to a way depressing level as I type this. Sure, Is the show just that, depressing? Yeah kinda. But it also has its moments of pure beauty which is what the inner me loves. I love any movie or TV show involving Ballet especially. Maybe it's the bars they practice on and even those scenes make me green with envy. Or the way they prance in the air and make everything look effortless. The way ballerinas can move their feet and bodies amidst all the pain they're most likely going through. One of the first scenes of Flesh and Bone is Claire pulling off a big toe nail. (Sorry for that visual)
Now there is a new element as I keep watching that they have added to this so not only a ballet related show, I am coming to find out. Part of me was hoping for Center Stage as that is one of my all time favorite movies. But that is so not what you get here and that is putting it VERY mildly. I honestly can't fathom any comparisons. She also is looking into the strip club world as she knows another dancer in the ABC that dances at a club as well. A high end strip club it seems but still, whoa.
My Bottom Line: Okay guys, this is not a show for the feint of heart. I've got a pretty strong stomach and this one turns mine sometimes. Don't be silly like me assuming it's a dramatic take on a Ballet company. Flesh and Bone is so much more then that. Dark and complex maybe sometimes even a bit sleepy, (which I don't mind because that means I won't binge watch as fast) but definitely like nothing I've seen before. That's saying something as I watch a shit ton of Television. I am sure I will see these eight episodes till the end and I look forward to more great shows to come on Starz now that they seem to be competing with the likes of HBO in terms of quality.
What is your favorite dance show or movie?
And what is the most disturbing TV show you have watched?
|
0 comments:
Post a Comment